The Open Data Pledge
Healthcare technology companies have the opportunity to positively impact patient safety by ensuring their products are interoperable and by promoting data sharing. The Open Data Pledge is designed to foster a marketplace of data analytics to encourage entrepreneurs to develop novel uses of health data that will improve patient safety and reduce preventable patient harm and deaths. It can also be used by hospitals and healthcare organizations during the procurement process.
What does it mean to sign the Open Data Pledge?
The Open Data Pledge is a public pledge made by leaders in the healthcare technology industry. It states that they are willing to openly share the output their devices/systems are purchased for without interference or charge.
In 2021, the Patient Safety Movement Foundation announced over 93 healthcare technology companies have joined.
Does the Open Data Pledge require me to share protected or proprietary data?
No, the PSMF simply requires that you make the pledge. The signee of the pledge must share the non-proprietary output data their company’s products are purchased for which must be in compliance with state and federal law.
How is data shared?
If anyone (researcher, developer, engineer, healthcare technology company representative, patient) wants to utilize data from the signed company’s devices or system to improve patient safety, they may request that the PSMF make an introduction to the pledged company’s designated representative. The pledged company is asked to engage with the individual and request data to determine if and how the data can be shared.
Is there any transfer of data between a company that signs the Open Data Pledge and the Patient Safety Movement Foundation?
No, the Patient Safety Movement Foundation does not test connectivity nor collect or store data. The PSMF is not a clearinghouse organization.
Is there a cost to sign the Open Data Pledge?
No, signing the Open Data Pledge is free.
What are the benefits of signing the Open Data Pledge?
By making a public pledge, you will positively impact and improve patient safety by encouraging others to share data to eliminate preventable patient death.
- Strategize, learn, and contribute to high-level roundtable discussions among patient safety frontrunners.
- Press release tools and templates to announce your affiliation with the PSMF through the media and your website. Plaques are available for purchase at the cost of the PSMF.
- Discounted admission to attend the PSMF’s annual World Patient Safety, Science & Technology Summit as well as an invitation to the chairman’s private reception hosted by Founder, Joe Kiani.
Pledges are signed online. To sign the Open Data Pledge:
- Click here to create an account.
- After you create an account, you will be redirected to your dashboard. Select “Sign the Open Data Pledge” from the list of options and then complete the form. If you have questions schedule a call with our director of partnerships:
- You will also receive an email with your username, password, and link to your dashboard for future use. You can sign in using that email or you can click Login in the top menu.
The Patient Safety Movement Foundation typically establishes an introductory call with each healthcare technology company to ensure objectives are aligned prior to signing the Open Data Pledge.