Updated July 23, 2018
Website Privacy Statement
For The Patient Safety Movement Foundation (PSMF) – U.S. Only
The Patient Safety Movement Foundation (PSMF) welcomes all its visitors who agree to the terms of the Website Privacy Statement. This Statement addresses website privacy for those accessing this website from the United States; for those accessing from the European Union, click here.
The PSMF collects the following information:
- Website visitors: IP addresses, Internet service provider, pages visited, country of origin, length of visit, and files downloaded.
- Donors: Name, address, phone number, email address, and payment information.
- Event attendees: Name, address, phone number, and email address.
- Discussion forum registrants: Name, title, organization, address, email, and phone number.
Information Supplied by Visitors
Visitors may be asked to voluntarily provide personal information before accessing specific pages on our website, or as a requirement to receive certain information by mail or email. This information may be used by us to contact visitors directly in order to respond to requests; however, visitors may opt out of any of our direct marketing activities at any time.
Other Use of Personal Information
The PSMF may use your personal information for a variety of purposes, including:
- Keeping you up to date about our activities;
- Letting you know about upcoming events;
- Posting your name, signature, title, company, and contact information when you register for an open data pledge or to be a partner of the PSMF;
- Managing volunteers and staff;
- Planning meetings and events;
- Responding to your comments, requests, and questions;
- Processing and completing your partnership or event registration request;
- Attempting to contact you regarding website issues;
- Sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Verifying your identity;
- Keeping a record of our interactions with you if you deal with our representatives over the telephone or online;
- Conducting statistical and demographic analysis;
- Preventing, investigating, or providing notice of fraud, unlawful or criminal activity, or unauthorized access to or use of personal information, our website or data systems, or to meet legal obligations;
- Protecting and defending the PSMF and its affiliates against legal actions or claims;
- Satisfying contractual obligations;
- Evaluating your partnership or event registration request;
- Cooperating with law enforcement or other government agencies for purposes of national security, public safety, or matters of public importance when we believe that disclosure of information is necessary or appropriate to protect the public interest or as otherwise required by law;
- Conducting market research, surveys, and similar inquiries to help us understand trends;
- Evaluating and improving your membership or event experience, online experience, or existing services, or to create new events;
- Monitoring and analyzing trends, usage, and activities; and
When it is possible to do so, we may link personal information (such as your name or e-mail address) with non-personal information (such as the unique identifier associated with your computer or mobile device). We may also link personal information with other generally or publicly available information to help us identify your preferences or interests. The information we collect may also be merged with information available from other sources such as (1) companies that match e-mail addresses with postal addresses and other information; and (2) our affiliates.
Sharing Your Personal Information
The PSMF will not provide visitors’ personal information to any third party except as follows:
- Website traffic analysis. We may use service providers, such as Web traffic consultants, to carry out certain activities on our behalf. They may be granted access to the personal information necessary to enable them to do their job, but will not use or disclose the information for any other purpose.
- Donation Processing. The PSMF website includes secure online donation pages, which ask for personal information. All credit card transactions are managed by an external service with its own secure site and privacy statement, which is accessible from the service’s online donation page.
- Event management. We may use event management vendors to assist with promoting or planning events. We may share your personal information in order to complete registrations, provide event information, share event materials, or promote event-related activities, or we may ask you to provide your personal information to them directly.
- With Your Consent. We may disclose your personal information to third parties with your consent. You may give your consent in several ways, such as through a written agreement that you sign or acknowledge; an online method, such as a “click-through” agreement or registration page; or through the terms and conditions under which we provide you with membership or event requests. Sometimes, your consent may be implicit. For example, if you complete an application request with a credit card, you implicitly consent to the disclosure of your name and credit card number to the credit card processor to authorize the transaction.
In any other case where The PSMF seeks to share personal information, we will do only with visitor consent. We also reserve the right to disclose specific information when we determine that such disclosure is necessary to comply with the law or to protect the interests or safety of The PSMF, our visitors, or others.
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Similar Technologies
Links to external websites included in the PSMF website are provided for the convenience of visitors. The PSMF is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of external websites, and any information provided by visitors to external sites is not subject to this Privacy Statement. The PSMF is not a part of a third party tracking network and does not allow third parties to collect personally identifiable information about consumer’s online activities through our website. The PSMF welcomes comments or complaints about external links accessed from our site: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PSMF treats visitors’ personal information as an asset that must be protected against loss and unauthorized access. This website has information security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. We restrict access to our data center and servers to authorized personnel and limit access to personal information to those employees who have a legitimate business need to access such information. Despite these security measures, we do not represent or warrant that personal information will be protected against loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties. Visitors of this website also acknowledge that any information that they post publicly on this website is not subject to any privacy or confidentiality obligations and may be viewed by other visitors to the website.
Revisions to the PSMF Website Privacy Statement may be made at any time and posted on the website. Visitors’ use of the website constitutes acceptance of the provisions of this Website Privacy Statement and continued usage after such changes are posted constitutes acceptance of each revised Website Privacy Statement. Visitors who do not agree to the terms of the Website Privacy Statement, or any revised statement, are asked to exit the website immediately.
Information Pertaining to Children
The PSMF is the only operator of its website, and its contact information is listed in the “Contacting Us” section below. The PSMF does not knowingly or intentionally collect personal information from children under the age of 13, and has taken steps to avoid doing so through its website. Accordingly, the PSMF does not enable children to make their personal information publicly available, knowingly or intentionally use their information in any manner, or knowingly or intentionally disclose their information to anyone. If a child under the age of 13 has or may have provided personal information to the PSMF, a parent or guardian may inform us of that fact by contacting us using one of the methods listed in the “Contacting Us” section below, and we will then review our records and delete any such information from our database. If you are under the age of 13, do not provide us with any personal information either directly or indirectly (e.g., by posting personal information on our website). Any personal information that we receive from a person whom we believe is under the age of 13 will be deleted.
Access to and Retention of Personal Information
The PSMF does not maintain all of your personal information in a form that you can access or update, and some items may not be changed. Accordingly, we will determine and may limit what may be accessed and how, subject to applicable law, and we may keep a record of changes (including deletions) and disclose them for compliance or other lawful purposes. We keep your personal information for only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it is collected (but in no event less than eight (8) years), and we reserve the right to retain it to the full extent not prohibited by law. Upon our confirmation of your identity, you may request confirmation that your membership or event registration is being processed, review your personal information that is readily accessible free of charge (provided that such request is not excessive or unfounded), or request that it be updated or corrected or its use limited by contacting our PSMF Member Service Center using one of the methods listed under the “Contacting Us” section below.
PSMF’s website does not respond to “do not track” signals or similar mechanisms. The PSMF may send you email messages, direct mail offers, or other communications regarding events or news unless you specifically ask us not to do so when you enroll as a member or register for an event, access our website, or change your preferences by updating any accounts you may have with us. At any time, you may elect to discontinue receiving messages from the PSMF by submitting an opt-out request to our PSMF Member Service Center (see “Contacting Us” below) or by following the instructions in the form of the communication you received, as described below.
- Emails: To opt out of receiving email messages, use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email that we sent you.
- Printed Materials: To opt out of receiving printed marketing materials at your postal address, such as letters, flyers, or postcards, contact us at email@example.com.
Our website was created by and is controlled, operated, and administered by the PSMF or its agents from offices within the United States of America utilizing servers located in the United States of America. We make no representation that materials at our website are appropriate or available for transmission to or from, or use in, locations outside of the jurisdiction stated above, and accessing our website from any jurisdiction where our website’s contents are illegal is prohibited. You may not use our website or export the materials in violation of import or export laws and regulations. If you access our website from a location outside of the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all local laws. Please note that the personal data you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. Whenever you submit any personal data to us, you consent to this transfer.
California Privacy Rights
Because we value your privacy, we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act and Shine the Light law. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent. This consent may be explicit or implicit. Please note that the California Shine the Light law does not cover all information sharing. Our disclosure only includes information covered by the law.
If you have any questions about this Website Privacy Statement, your personal information, the practices of this website, or your interaction with this website, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.