Failed airway management is as high as 1 in 50-100 in ED and ICU settings and can be even higher prior to arrival at the hospital. Although the goals are airway safety are uniform, applied practice is often fragmented and lacks standardization across the continuum of care, including pre-hospital arrival.
Our APSS outline actionable steps healthcare organizations should take to successfully implement and sustain behavior change for high reliability, shared understanding, thorough communication, and meaningful person-centered care across the organization.
Actionable steps include:
- Executive Summary Checklist
- Leadership checklist guide to determine whether current evidence-based guidelines are being followed in your organization
- Performance improvement plan to follow if improvements are necessary
- Clinical workflow for preoccupation with workflow for areas of improvement
- How to educate patients and family members about the significance of their role throughout the continuum
- Guidance on how to measure outcomes