Annually, Clostridioides difficile infection (CDI) impacts an estimated 500,000 Americans with approximately 29,000 associated deaths (Mada et al., 2019). Globally, its incidence rate hovers around 2.24 per 1000 admissions annually (Balsells, et al., 2018). CDIs could be entirely eliminated with protocols already available and affordable in healthcare settings, including frequent hand hygiene and isolation precautions.
Our APSS outline actionable steps healthcare organizations should take to successfully implement and sustain behavior change for high reliability, shared understanding, thorough communication, and meaningful person-centered care across the organization.
Actionable steps include:
- Executive Summary Checklist
- Leadership checklist guide to determine whether current evidence-based guidelines are being followed in your organization
- Performance improvement plan to follow if improvements are necessary
- Clinical workflow for preoccupation with workflow for areas of improvement
- How to educate patients and family members about the significance of their role throughout the continuum
- Guidance on how to measure outcomes