Due to the increased complexity of medical conditions, those receiving palliative care may be at greater risk for medical error. It is imperative that the processes and procedures in place to support those receiving palliative care prioritize patient centered care in order to achieve optimal outcomes. The Actionable Patient Safety Solution (APSS) within the Support Care category includes Palliative Care.
Our APSS outline actionable steps healthcare organizations should take to successfully implement and sustain behavior change for high reliability, shared understanding, thorough communication, and meaningful person-centered care across the organization.
Actionable steps include:
- Executive Summary Checklist
- Leadership checklist guide to determine whether current evidence-based guidelines are being followed in your organization
- Performance improvement plan to follow if improvements are necessary
- Clinical workflow for preoccupation with workflow for areas of improvement
- How to educate patients and family members about the significance of their role throughout the continuum
- Guidance on how to measure outcomes